5 Tips to Get Your Kids to Clean Their Rooms
Do stinky socks, breadcrumbs, and broken toys litter your child’s bedroom? While not likely to get sick from a messy bedroom, it’s a good idea to teach your kids to distinguish between a clean, but disorganized mess and an unsanitary cesspool of damp clothes, moldy leftovers, and crusty sheets. Here’re five steps to keep you sane in the process.
- Decide what clean means to you and your child. Is clean a made bed and vacuumed floor or does clean just translate into toys being tucked away? Be clear about your expectations and start early with rules. Try to prioritize what’s important to you, such as dirty clothes in the hamper or no food in the bedroom.
- Limit the amount of stuff in there. First off, kids don’t need a lot of stuff. A carefully edited selection of toys and personal belongings makes it easier for your child to be tidy and it also encourages kids to value their things. Purge unused items regularly and often.
- Make things easy to put away. If kids have to cram a toy into an overstuffed chest, how likely is it the toy will actually get put away? Eliminate as many obstacles to a clean room as possible: make toy boxes accessible, have space on shelves for books, or free drawers for odds and ends.
- Show your kids how to tidy up. Don’t send youngers to clean up their room without first showing them how. Go through with the process with them step-by-step and train your child how to perform each task. Also, lead by example throughout the rest of the house and try to turn regular tidying up into an enjoyable family activity.
- Don’t expect perfection. There’s more to life than a spotless room and while it’s important to teach children how to be tidy and orderly, kids will be kids. Accept that no matter how hard you try, chances are, there’ll be times when their room will be less than spotless.
And, don’t forget, moms, Scottsdale’s Prestige Cleaners has your back for all your dry cleaning and laundry needs.
We clean sheets, comforters, duvets, drapes, and more––so you don’t have to. Enjoy 20% off all household items (excluding sheets) at Prestige Cleaners with the coupon below.